Mike Montague interviews Michael Coles on How to Succeed at Getting Tough. Michael J. Coles, the co-founder of the Great American Cookie Company and the former CEO of Caribou Coffee, did not follow a conventional path into business. He does not have an Ivy League pedigree or an MBA from a top-ten business school. He grew up poor, starting work at the age of thirteen. He had many false starts and painful defeats, but Coles has a habit of defying expectations. His life and career have been about turning obstacles into opportunities, tragedies into triumphs, and poverty into philanthropy.
Get his book, Time To Get Tough, at: https://www.amazon.com/Time-Get-Tough-Cookies-Business/dp/0820354627
In this episode:
- The best attitude, behavior, and technique on how to succeed at getting tough
- Why Michael says it’s Time to Get Tough – TTGT
- Take risks early in your career
- Hope for the best and plan for the worst
- It’s okay if you forget the oven mitts…once
- A mistake Michael made his first day as CEO of Caribou Coffee
- Before you figure out how to do more, figure out what you’re doing well
- Michael’s definition of success and a challenge he had to overcome
The How to Succeed Podcast is a public and free podcast from Sandler Training, the worldwide leader in sales, management, and customer service training for individuals all the way up to Fortune 500 companies with over 250 locations around the globe.
Find white papers, webinars, and more in our free Sandler E-Learning Library: https://www.sandler.com/sell